2005

 

 
  [Project Starion Home] ::
 
 
Initial Disassembly

Well Summer of 2002 had rolled around and I was ready for another StarQuest Meet. I had made the 2000 and 2001 meets at Englishtown and was ready for the next one at Norwalk. While performing some preemptive maintenance 2 weeks before the trip, I decided to pull the oil pan and make sure all was still fine. I did not want to be stranded on the side of the road somewhere with a major breakdown. I'm glad I did. I found shavings in the oil again. I was still determined to make the meet and decided to take my VFR on its inaugural long distance trip and would deal with the car upon my return. When I returned, things were getting hectic at work with the sudden crash of the semiconductor industry and people were scrambling for jobs. I decided to hold on to the money I had set aside for the rebuild. Good thing, too. I got laid off that November. The car ended up sitting for 3 years until January of 2005 when I started to work on it again. This time I decided to save me the headache of the rebuild and had a shop do it here in town. In addition to the engine, I also did some other work that needed to be done such as halfshafts, brakes, and other small repairs.

I did a decent job of documenting the work so there are many pics to follow with some commentary. Enjoy.

 

01.08.2005

I pulled the head off the engine and was not pleased at wot I found. All the pistons and valves were caked with carbon deposits. It is no wonder the car ran lousy. I also found several cracks in the exhaust manifold. The flex coupler on the downpipe also had a hole in it.

 

I worked on removing anything else I needed in order to pull the motor and transmission all at once. I was a nice 73F/23C day in Jan so I got a lot done. While under the car, I noticed the boots for the CV joints were in bad shape. The CV joints had also been clicking during the last months the car was driven so and with ~231,00 miles on the chassis, I think the half shafts are due for rebuild or replacement.

 

01.09.2005

Today was rather cloudy but a nice 72F/22C degrees again- odd for a January, even in Austin so I tried to get as much done.

 

I pulled the motor and transmission all at once.

 

 

The Pro Grip clutch didn't look too bad for 100,000 miles. The disk was just beginning to wear to the rivets so I caught it just in time.

 

The flywheel is going to get lightened about 10lbs this time around.

 

Left side of the engine.

 

Front of the engine

 

Right side of the engine.

 

 

01.16.05

Well this past weekend I was blessed with more great weather- 75F/24C. I Decided to disassemble my motor to see wot damage there might be. I was both annoyed and relieved at wot I found: NOTHING. I have no clue wot the source of the metal flakes in my oil was 2 years ago. At least I won't have to spend extra money on replacing any parts damaged due to failure.

 

Initial view of internals

 

Main and connecting rod bearings removed

 

I made some quick inspections and I found some minor scoring on Main Bearing Journals 3 and 4. The actual bearings were fine with no signs of damage or heat stress. There was also some minor scoring on Connecting Rod Journal 3, but that happened right after the first rebuild.

 

OK, so here is an example of wot NOT to do. >_< When I was pushing the pistons out, the first one slipped out of my hand and hit the concrete. Fortunately, the rod was not damaged. Well not wanting a repeat, stupid me pulled on the second one without thinking it all the way through and Dee Dee Dee!

 

To get the piston out, I merely popped the rings out and slid it through the cylinder. Here is a shot of the crank and pistons removed.

 

Piston 2 showed a lot of carmelisation, especially around the wrist pin. I also remembered that pistons 2 and 3 had the most carbon build up. Same goes for the intake valves for those pistons. The intake runners for those cylinders were fine and showed only a slight build up but something was definitely going on here.

 

Here are shots of the bare block.

Left side (with the piston still stuck)

 

Right side, again, with the stuck piston.

 

Bottom of the engine [after removing the piston]. You can see that the cylinder walls are in excellent shape.

 

Top of the engine

 

When I pulling the turbo off, one of the studs broke off with no real effort. I still have the original OEM housing that I had swapped when I got the 17C. I will have that one ported out and new studs installed and swapped for this one.

 

This is a side by side representation of the two exhaust housings. The OEM is on the left and the 17C is on the right. The one on the 17C was swapped with my old16G's housing. I had that one ported and matched when I had the 14G converted to a 16G.

 

This shows the OEM (left) and the ported housing (right). You can see how much material was removed just to get rid of the OEM collar.

 

The exhaust manifold was also ported and matched to an Eclipse turbo gasket and a normal exhaust gasket on the head side.

 

Here is one of 3 cracks that were found on the manifold. I will have to get a new manifold.

 

[Project Starion Home] [Go To PAGE 2]